Monday, 9 February 2009

Wedding Risk Management Pt. II

(Note: See yesterday's post for Pt. I)

The hosts of the wedding -- e.g., the bride, the groom, the parents, or anyone whose names appear on the wedding invitation -- have both a legal responsibility to the guests to plan and maintain a safe and secure wedding environment. Also, the more assets the hosts own, for example a home, a car, a business, or investments, the greater the risk when hosting an event.

That puts a whole new spin on planning a wedding, right? Who knew there was so much potential for disaster! The good news is that liability coverage will protect you and your assets. Within the general liability coverage, you should consider what's called "Broad Form Comprehensive General Liability Endorsement." This is an amendment to your general liability policy that provides extensions or varies the terms of coverage provided. It also expands your general liability policy to cover other areas you think you'll need protection in, like fire legal liability (if you're using fireworks or candles), which protects against claims for fire damage to the wedding venue caused by your negligence.

However, Joyce added that if your wedding reception is at a venue that requires a "Certificate of Insurance," this is different from general liability and may be required in your wedding venue contract. Sometimes venue contracts will detail the type and limits of insurance that must be in force by both parties. And some wedding venue contracts will require copies of "Certificate of Insurance" naming the wedding reception site as insured up to $2 million per occurrence. However, keep in mind that many venues do not require their clients to obtain this type of insurance.

Click to learn more about wedding planning and troubleshooting a wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment